Our Story

Contact Us

Directions

Pastor's Blog

Affiliations

   MCUSA

   ACC





       

Our Story

 

In July 1951, a group of 42 people meeting at Frieden’s Church moved to a local Zion Methodist Episcopal Church which was vacant for 20 years, and formed the present Zion Mennonite Church. Built in 1835, an annex was added in 1955, the building was enlarged in 1980, and to meet the growing needs of the congregation, was renovated again in June, 2003. Some of the charter members presently attend Zion along with approximately 160 others. Outreach has been an important aspect of Zion’s ministry. An annual relief sale formed under Ford Berg’s leadership, grew into the present MCC Relief sale. John Rush, who began extensive outreach in the city of Reading, served as director to Freedom Gate, a prison ministry, and ACTV, a Christian Television and Media Ministry, both with continuing programs. Code Blue kids’ club and Disciple House, which served needs in the city on 6th Street were other outreach ministries of the church. Zion continues to serve as a “light on the hill” to invite people on a journey of faith together with us—sharing grace, announcing hope, and seeking truth.